Mushroom-Stuffed Beef Tenderloin Recipe
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 1 beef tenderloin roast (2 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1. In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the mushrooms until tender. Add the garlic; cook for 1 minute. In a small bowl, combine the mushroom mixture, spinach and cheese; set aside.
- 2. Cut a lengthwise slit down the center of the tenderloin to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Open tenderloin so it lies flat; cover with plastic wrap. Flatten to 3/4 in. thickness. Remove plastic; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread stuffing over meat to within 1 in. of edges.
- 3. Close tenderloin; tie at 2-in. intervals with kitchen string. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 30 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Let stand for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 8 servings.
5 ounce-weight: 238 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 417mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat.
Reviews for Mushroom-Stuffed Beef Tenderloin
"this is fabulous, sometimes we add prosicutto in the middle or we change the cheese to a milder cheese to make a kid friendly meal. Turns out perfect each time!"
"This was wonderful. I used regular spinach and added it to the pan ofmushrooms, after I turned off the heat. I also used roquefort cheese instead of blue."