- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 6 hoagie buns, split and toasted
- Sliced tomatoes
- In a large resealable plastic bag or shallow glass container, combine water, soy sauce, garlic powder and pepper. Add steak and turn to coat. Seal or cover and refrigerate for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard marinade. In a large skillet, brown steak over medium heat. Add the onion, green pepper and mushrooms; stir-fry until tender. Reduce heat. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Remove from the heat; stir until cheese is melted and meat is coated. Spoon onto buns; top with tomatoes. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom Steak Hoagies in Quick Cooking March/April 2000, p27
Reviews for Mushroom Steak Hoagies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 7, 2013
"I used teriyacki instead of soy and added ginger, minced garlic, siracha for maiinadeThe round steak I had sliced paper thin by my butcher. Really nice sammie"