Our three boys don't seem to mind the flavor mushrooms, green peppers and onions in my spaghetti sauce as much as the chunks. Through the years, I've learned to chop the vegetables very fine so there's nothing for them to search for and pick out.—LaVonne Hegland, St. Michael, Minnesota
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (one 12 ounces, one 18 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 4 cups water
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons each dried parsley flakes, basil and oregano
- 2 teaspoons each garlic powder, sugar and salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, brown beef, onions and green pepper until the beef is no longer pink; drain. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-3 hours. Remove the bay leaves before serving. Yield: 16 cups.
Originally published as Mushroom Spaghetti Sauce in Taste of Home April/May 1996, p14
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Mushroom Spaghetti Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review