Mushroom Sour Cream Gravy Recipe
My grandma made this gravy every Thanksgiving to drizzle over sliced turkey and stuffing. When I have leftover turkey and mushroom gravy, I chop the turkey into small pieces and add it to the gravy. I serve it over a piece of bread, open-face style. —Joy Mellwig, Naples, Florida
- 1 pound small fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in 3 tablespoons butter in batches; set aside. In the same pan, saute onion and celery in 1 tablespoon butter. Add the flour, salt, pepper and remaining butter; cook and stir until smooth.
- 2. Gradually add water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in mushrooms and heat through. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream. Yield: about 4-1/2 cups.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC