- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chopped green peppers
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (29 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 4-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-1/2 pounds cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) whole mushroom, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried savory
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, saute onions, green peppers and garlic. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, basil and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- Add the shrimp, mushrooms, butter, lemon juice and savory. Cook 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through. Discard bay leaf. Stir in bacon. Serve with rice. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom Shrimp Creole in Taste of Home August/September 2001, p27
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Mushroom Shrimp Creole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 15, 2008
"This is a great recipe, but not spicy enough for my family. I added 1 tsp of cayenne and 1 1/2 tsp of creole seasoning, as well as extra garlic cloves"