- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 9 ounces small fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon or 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1-1/2 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 8 artichoke bottoms (drained canned or cooked fresh)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 8 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 4 English muffins, split and toasted
- In a saucepan, saute shallots in butter until tender. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until mushrooms release their liquid. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add tarragon. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add cheese; stir to melt. Remove from the heat; keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, warm the artichoke bottoms in water to cover. Season lemon juice and salt. Keep warm.
- To poach eggs, place 2-3 in. of water in a large skillet with high sides; add vinegar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently. Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a custard cup or saucer; holding the cup close to the surface of the water, slip each egg into water. Cook, uncovered, until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken, about 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, lift each egg out of the water.
- To serve, top each muffin half with an artichoke bottom, poached egg and about 1/3 cup sauce. Garnish with a sprig of tarragon if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom Sardou in Taste of Home Cooking School Collection Spring 2009, p14
Reviews for Mushroom Sardou
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Artichoke Recipes >
- Breakfast Egg Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Brunch Egg Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Breakfast Recipes >
- Christmas Brunch Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Easter Breakfast Recipes >
- Easter Brunch Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Egg Recipes >