Mushroom Salsa Chili Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups chunky salsa
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 cup each chopped green, sweet red and yellow peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and thinly sliced green onions
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Stir in beans, salsa, tomatoes, onion, tomato sauce, mushrooms, peppers and seasonings. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until flavors are blended. Add toppings of your choice. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Mushroom Salsa Chili
"This chili is spectacular!! I prefer this to regular chili.I use Nacho chips to eat it with. So delicious!!!"
"I used ground turkey instead of pork sausage and added only one can of beans, but otherwise I followed the recipe faithfully. It is delicious! Will definitely make this again!"
"Excellent!! Very easy to make & a pleasentchange from the usual flavors like chili powder. My husband enjoyed it too & he likes spicy foods."
"This is more of a light "summer" chili. I added more peppers, doubled the spices, added some black pepper for a little warmth and an extra can of beans and we loved it. Oh, I also used fresh mushrooms."
"Definitely one of the best chili recipes I've tried!"
"I also used fresh mushrooms, and was pleasantly surprised to find this is a step or two up from your typical chili."
"Really just average. The mushrooms are a nice touch, but way too many beans. Not as hearty tasting as many other chili recipes."
"I have made a lot of chili over the years and thought this one was just average. I didn't add the mushrooms and needed to add a lot of extra spices to give it some zing."
"I make this chili at least once per month year round. It is so flavorful and perfect for our low-carb lifestyle. I use 1 can of kidney beans and 1 can of black beans and use fresh mushrooms instead of canned. So hearty and flavorful!"
"Yes and no, I would try this again in an attempt to create a better sense of taste to this receipe. I believe it may have been due to leaving the marjoram out (I didn't have it on hand). I can only ascertain that it's a very important ingredient in the receipe. Otherwise, the color was beautiful and would've been tastier with cornbread."
"Easy and delicious chili. I used one can of black beans in place of one of the cans of kidney beans and added a can of chopped green chiles."
"Excellent......easy to prepare!! Hearty colorful chili with a great taste!!!"
"Delicious! Can hardly wait to make it again."
"One of ToH's best chili recipes imho. I substituted ground turkey for the ground beef, and 1 can of black beans in place of 1 can of kidney beans. Magnifico!"
"This is a wonderful chili recipe! Tastes great and cooks in the slow cooker so meal time is fast and easy."
"Very good. Will make again."