Mushroom Salsa Chili
Green, sweet red and yellow peppers give this hearty chili a splash of color. I often fix it for my grandsons. Because they don't like spicy chili, I use mild salsa, but try it with a hotter variety if you prefer. —Richard Rundels, Waverly, Ohio
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Jimmy Dean® Premium Pork Sausage Roll
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups chunky salsa
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 cup each chopped green, sweet red and yellow peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and thinly sliced green onions
- In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat 6-8
- minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain.
- Transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in beans, salsa, tomatoes, onion, tomato sauce, mushrooms,
- peppers and seasonings. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until
- flavors are blended. Add toppings of your choice. Yield: 8 servings
- (3 quarts).