Mushroom Ricotta Bread Recipe
The texture of this bread is so soft, it absolutely melts in your mouth! The garlic and whole wheat create a nice blend of flavors, and ricotta cheese lends extra richness.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 2 cups flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, oil, egg and salt. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute mushrooms and garlic in butter until tender; set aside. Punch dough down. Roll into a 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread ricotta to within 1/2 in. of edges. Sprinkle with mushroom mixture. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- 4. Brush with egg. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 1 loaf (17 slices).
1 slice equals 214 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 164 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Mushroom Ricotta Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC