Mushroom and rice stuffing turns ordinary chicken breasts into a terrific main dish that folks will remember. Pecans give harvest taste to the moist, tender chicken. —Pat Neu, Gainesville, Texas
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/3 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 6 bone-in chicken breast halves (8 ounces each)
- In a large saucepan, saute the mushrooms, rice, onion and celery leaves in butter until onion is tender. Add water and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Stir in pecans.
- Stuff 1/2 cup of rice mixture under the skin of each chicken breast half. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 170°. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Stuffed Chicken Breasts in Taste of Home October/November 1997, p39
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Mushroom-Rice Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review