We would never hear the end of it if we failed to have my grandmother’s mushroom rice dish on the table for any family gathering. It’s the one dish my dad requests most often.
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the water, brown rice, wild rice, bouillon and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until rice is tender.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. In the drippings, saute mushrooms and onion until tender. Stir in rice and bacon; heat through. Season with salt if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom Rice Medley in Country February/March 2007, p49
Reviews for Mushroom Rice Medley
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review