Mushroom Primavera Pasta Sauce Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 whole garlic bulb, peeled and minced
- 15 plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, grated
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, quartered
- Hot cooked multigrain pasta
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, zucchini, carrots, peppers, water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- 2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in mushrooms; cook 10 minutes longer or just until mushrooms are tender.
- 3. Serve over pasta. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 cups.
3/4 cup (calculated without pasta and cheese) equals 85 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 321 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 3 vegetable.