Mushroom Potato Soup
A buttery mushroom flavor blends with potatoes, leeks and carrots to make this soup hearty and warming. A big steaming bowl hits the spot on a cold fall day. Waxy red potatoes and all-purpose Yukon Golds hold together well in boiling water.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 2 medium leeks, sliced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 5 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute leeks and carrots in 3
- tablespoons butter for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the broth,
- potatoes, dill, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining butter
- for 4-6 minutes or until tender. Discard bay leaf from soup. Stir in
- mushroom mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and cream until smooth; gradually stir
- into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until