Mushroom Pot Roast
Mushroom lovers will tingle with excitement when they see this tender, slow-cooked roast. My recipe calls for a 1/2-pound of fresh sliced mushrooms along with onion, garlic and other seasonings and ingredients.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 1-3/4 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- Sprinkle beef with garlic powder and pepper. In a Dutch oven over
- medium-high heat, brown meat in oil on all sides. Add the water,
- onion, celery, garlic, bouillon and bay leaves; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add mushrooms. Cover and simmer 30 minutes longer or until meat is
- tender. Discard bay leaves. Thicken cooking liquid if desired; serve
- with beef. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 5 ounces cooked beef equals 272 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 376 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 28 g protein.