- carrots, garlic, bay leaves, thyme and chili powder. Cover and cook
- on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Discard
- bay leaves. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small
- saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until
- smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir
- for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with mashed potatoes, meat
- and vegetables. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 4 ounces cooked beef with 2/3 cup vegetables and 1/2 cup gravy (calculated without potatoes) equals 310 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 89 mg cholesterol, 363 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 30 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.