Mushroom Pot Roast Recipe
Mushroom lovers will tingle with excitement when they see this tender, slow-cooked roast. My recipe calls for a 1/2-pound of fresh sliced mushrooms along with onion, garlic and other seasonings and ingredients.
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- Sprinkle beef with garlic powder and pepper. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown meat in oil on all sides. Add the water, onion, celery, garlic, bouillon and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add mushrooms. Cover and simmer 30 minutes longer or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaves. Thicken cooking liquid if desired; serve with beef. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom Pot Roast in Country Extra May 2008, p49
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.