Mushroom Pizza Burgers Recipe
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 6 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
- 6 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 1. In a small skillet coated with cooking spray, saute mushrooms and onion for 3 minutes. Add garlic and oregano; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside and keep warm.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the mushrooms, basil, egg white, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Shape into six patties.
- 3. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill patties, covered, over medium-hot heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160° and meat juices run clear. Top patties with cheese and tomato sauce. Serve over buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving (1 burger) equals 333 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 757 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch.