Mushroom Pilaf Recipe
While combing through my grandmother’s recipes, I ran across something I hadn’t seen since childhood. Wishing to revive my memories of Sunday dinners past, I prepared what Grandma called her “pretty pilaf.” I should have doubled the recipe! Not only was it a hit, it was just as I remembered it back in Waukegan, Illinois, where I grew up.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. + standing YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 ounce uncooked spaghetti, broken into 1-inch pieces (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the onion, rice and spaghetti in butter until onion is tender and spaghetti is golden brown.
- 2. Stir in the broth, mushrooms, water and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from the heat; let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork; stir in parsley. Yield: 6-8 servings.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC