Mushroom Pepper Steak Recipe
- 6 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 1 cup julienned green pepper
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 6 green onions, sliced
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 3 tablespoons soy sauce and pepper; add beef. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 30-60 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, broth and remaining soy sauce until smooth; set aside.
- 2. Drain and discard marinade from beef. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry the garlic and ginger in 2 teaspoons oil for 1 minute. Add the beef; stir-fry for 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove beef and keep warm.
- 3. Stir-fry the peppers in remaining oil for 1 minute. Add mushrooms; stir-fry 2 minutes longer or until peppers are crisp-tender. Stir broth mixture and add to vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Return beef to pan; add tomatoes and onions. Cook for 2 minutes or until heated through. Serve over rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/4 cups beef mixture (calculated without rice) equals 241 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 841 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Mushroom Pepper Steak
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.