- 6 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 1 cup julienned green pepper
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 6 green onions, sliced
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 3 tablespoons soy sauce and pepper; add beef. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 30-60 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, broth and remaining soy sauce until smooth; set aside.
- Drain and discard marinade from beef. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry the garlic and ginger in 2 teaspoons oil for 1 minute. Add the beef; stir-fry for 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove beef and keep warm.
- Stir-fry the peppers in remaining oil for 1 minute. Add mushrooms; stir-fry 2 minutes longer or until peppers are crisp-tender. Stir broth mixture and add to vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Return beef to pan; add tomatoes and onions. Cook for 2 minutes or until heated through. Serve over rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Mushroom Pepper Steak
"Very nice recipe. I wasn't sure if i'd like the tomatoes, but they took on a stewed, steamed quality that tasted really good. Will definitely make this again."
"The steak was so tender and the peppers, mushroom and onion sauce was great over mashed potatoes!"
"I was looking for some diabetic friendly recipes to use at work. This recipe was definitely a hit with my husband and me! I can't wait to make it for the residents!"
"It's so pretty! Tasty too."
"very good! didn't change a thing and we all liked it!"
"The only thing I did different was add 2 tbs of brown sugar and with the fresh gingerroot I added grounded ginger. This recipe is delicious, I will add it to my recipe box. I served with marinade cumcumbers and onions. For desert I used an instant pudding and the left over rice making a rice pudding. The entire dinner was less then 1/2 hr cooking."
"This is really yummy! I don't use the tomatoes or mushrooms in mine, but I add sugar snap peas and saute with the peppers. I also increase the ginger to 1 tsp. Super easy to make."
"Love this recipe!"
"Quick and easy"
"This is an outstanding recipe. We like our food a little spicy so I used two cloves of garlic and about a tablespoon of ginger. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. This is definitely going into the regular rotation."