- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, julienned
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 hoagie buns, split
- 1-1/2 pounds sliced deli pastrami
- 12 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat broiler. In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion and peppers; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain vegetable mixture; stir in salt and pepper.
- Arrange buns on a baking sheet. Layer bun bottoms with pastrami and vegetable mixture; top with cheese. Broil 4-5 in. from heat 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted and bun tops are toasted. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Mushroom Pastrami Hoagies
"Now that I am cooking for one, this recipe got my immediate attention. It was very easy to pare down to make just one hoagie.. and it is hearty enough that one will do ya. I didn't use a stock pot but a skillet, which worked fine for the smaller amount of mushroom, onions and peppers. I used a hoagie bun from the bakery, so I was able to slice my own, and decided to do a top cut, which helps to hold the ingredients in the bun. I put some deli mustard on the buns... yum."