"If you like mushrooms," assures Patricia Kile from Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, "you'll love this appetizer! As soon as I tasted it for the first time at a friend's house, I had to get the recipe." Not on the rich side—but full cheese and seasonings—the puffs are satisfying by themselves or as accompaniments to other dishes.
- 36 medium fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup (4 ounces) finely shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 egg whites
- Remove and discard mushroom stems. In a skillet, saute mushroom caps in butter. In a bowl, combine mayonnaise, cheese, mustard, parsley and onion powder. Beat egg whites until stiff; fold into mayonnaise mixture. Spoon into mushroom caps. Place in an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 450° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom Party Puffs in Country Woman July/August 1999, p10
Reviews for Mushroom Party Puffs
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 25, 2010
"These are wonderful. They are very easy to prepare. I have made them for several years and always get rave reviews! They are great as an appetizer or a wonderful side dish."