I found this recipe while working at a small-town museum in West Texas. It was the appetizer for a fundraiser a long, long time ago, and it’s still a huge hit at parties. Frozen puff pastry helps make it easy and impressive. The palmiers freeze well too. —Judy Lock, Panhandle, Texas
48 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 pound fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and
- onion; cook and stir until tender. Stir in thyme, lemon juice, hot
- pepper sauce and salt. Cool completely.
- Unfold one pastry sheet. Spread half of the mushroom mixture to
- within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up the left and right sides toward the
- center, jelly-roll style, until rolls meet in the middle. Cut into
- 24 slices. Repeat with remaining pastry and mushrooms.
- Place on greased baking sheets. In a small bowl, whisk egg and water;
- brush over pastries. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until
- golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 4 dozen.