Mushroom-Onion Stuffed Turkey Recipe
- 1 loaf (14 ounces) ciabatta bread, cubed
- 1-1/2 pounds sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 4 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- Melted butter
- Place bread on a baking sheet; bake at 250° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onions and celery in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add wine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until liquid is evaporated. Stir in the broth, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper; heat through.
- In a large bowl, combine toasted bread and mushroom mixture. In a small bowl, whisk the cream and egg substitute; pour over bread mixture and toss to coat.
- Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey with 4 cups stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 8-in. baking dish; refrigerate until ready to bake. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with melted butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for the turkey and 165° for the stuffing, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.
- Bake additional stuffing, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 20 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cover turkey and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving turkey. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy. Yield: 14 servings (9 cups stuffing).
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Rutherford Hill Chardonnay 2012 Napa Valley, a full-bodied classic California Chardonnay with the perfect touch of oak. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $99.99. Order Now
Reviews for Mushroom-Onion Stuffed Turkey
Sort By :
I've been looking for a different take on stuffing for years. Tried cornbread stuffings, traditional, and all kinds. This was the best. A total hit! Great combination of flavors. Definitely a keeper.