Mushroom Onion Soup Recipe
- 2 cups (8 ounces) fresh mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- Dash pepper
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Trim mushroom stems level with the caps; finely chop stems and thinly slice caps.
- 2. In a large saucepan, melt butter; add mushrooms and onions. Cook and stir over low heat for 5 minutes. Blend in flour; add broth, salt if desired, and pepper. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat. Add rice and bay leaf; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is tender. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 4 servings (about 1-1/2 quarts).
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with margarine, low-sodium broth and no added salt) equals 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch; also; 118 calories, 26 mg sodium, 1 mg cholesterol, 10 gm carbohydrate, 8 gm protein, 5 gm fat.