Mushroom-Onion Bread Dressing Recipe
- 3/4 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 cups cubed day-old French bread
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and celery in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in wine and 3/4 teaspoon thyme; cook over medium heat until liquid is evaporated. Add the broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the mushroom mixture, bread cubes, cream, egg, parsley and remaining thyme. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish (dish will be full); dot with remaining butter. Cover and bake at 325° for 50 minutes. Uncover and bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160° and top is browned. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 291 calories, 18g fat (10g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 552mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein .
Reviews for Mushroom-Onion Bread Dressing
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.