Mushroom-Onion Bread Dressing Recipe
This savory, rustic dressing really complements tender slices of turkey. The level of herbs is perfect. Guests won't be able to stop eating forkful after forkful!James Hayes, Ridgecrest, California
- 3/4 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 cups cubed day-old French bread
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and celery in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in wine and 3/4 teaspoon thyme; cook over medium heat until liquid is evaporated. Add the broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half.
- In a large bowl, combine the mushroom mixture, bread cubes, cream, egg, parsley and remaining thyme. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish (dish will be full); dot with remaining butter. Cover and bake at 325° for 50 minutes. Uncover and bake 15-20 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160° and top is browned. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom-Onion Bread Dressing in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p128
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Mushroom-Onion Bread Dressing(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review