VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 pound beef stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine or additional beef broth
- 2 thin strips orange peel (about 3 inches x 1/4 inch each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 pound small fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a large saucepan, brown stew meat in 1 tablespoon oil. Add garlic; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the broth, wine, orange peel, salt and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Discard orange peel.
- Remove stems from mushrooms. In a saucepan, cook mushroom caps and stems in remaining oil until tender. Add onions; cook until lightly browned. Stir into meat mixture; add peas. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom-Onion Beef Stew in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p130
Reviews forMushroom-Onion Beef Stew
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 11, 2012
"I added a bit more mushrooms and loved it!"
Reviewed Feb. 9, 2010
"Ive' made this recipe for two and kept the other helping for another day. Ive made thismany times."