Mushroom Onion Barley Soup Recipe
After tinkering with three different recipes, I came up with this warming rich, dark brown broth with hearty mushrooms, barley and onions. It’s a beefy tasting soup for my meat loving husband, completely vegan for me and healthy for both of us. It can simmer all day in a crock pot or be served up right after preparation.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 7 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and mushrooms in oil until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45-50 minutes or until barley is tender. Yield: 7 servings.
1 cup equals 101 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 746 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC