- FOR THE SANDWICHES:
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms or baby portobello mushrooms
- 1 large shallot
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 8 ounces ground beef
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- FOR THE PESTO:
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not oil packed)
- 1/2 cup tightly packed fresh basil
- 1/4 cup unsalted walnuts
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1/4 cup grated parmigiana cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slider rolls
- Additional basil to top
- Using either a knife or your food processor, finely chop the mushrooms and shallot.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook until tender and any excess moisture has evaporated (about 7 minutes), seasoning halfway through with 1/2 tsp. of the kosher salt.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, remaining 1/2 tsp. of kosher salt and black pepper. Mix in the cooked mushrooms and separate into 8 portions.
- Place a piece of mozzarella in the center of each meatball and gently form a patty around the cheese. The mixture will be very wet.
- Put the meatballs on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or in the freezer for 10 minutes. The meatballs can be made up to one day ahead of time.
- Heat oven to 400° and bake for 20 minutes.
- While meatballs are cooking, in the bowl of your food processor, place the sun-dried tomatoes, basil, walnuts and garlic. Pulse until the consistency of wet sand.
- Add the parmigiana cheese and pulse 1-2 times to combine.
- With the motor running, drizzle the olive oil from the top and mix in the black pepper.
- TO SERVE: Spread some of the pesto on the bottom of a slider bun, top with a meatball and spread a little more pesto on top of the meatball. Finish with a piece of fresh basil. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom Meatball Parmigiana Sandwiches in Taste of Home Cooking School Spring 2014
Reviews for Mushroom Meatball Parmigiana Sandwiches
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review