- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/3 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 pound large portobello mushrooms, stems removed, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons stone-ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Cut three 20-in. x 3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on the bottom and up the sides of a 3-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, bread crumbs, mushrooms, onion, garlic, salt, thyme and pepper. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into a 7-1/2-in. x 4-in. loaf. Cook immediately or cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Place meat loaf in the center of the strips. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°
- Combine the chili sauce, mustard and cayenne; pour over meat. Cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until heated through. Using foil strips as handles, remove the meat loaf to a platter.
- To use frozen meat loaf: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Cook as directed. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mushroom Meat Loaf
Sort By :
"This was one of the best meatloaves I've ever made. It was moist, yet held together nicely. I really liked the mushrooms and the mustard addition to a traditional recipe. We served this alongside some mashed root vegetables and spinach salad. Will definitely keep this recipe in rotation!"
"This was delish. I did however make a few changes as to what I had in stock, I use seasoned Panko bread crumbs, and button mushrooms, I didn't add the thyme because of the seasoned bread crumbs or the cayenne pepper as I use a spicy mustard. I also added a small carrot grated . I put sliced mushrooms on top of the sauce and baked in the oven 350 for approx. 45 min. It was so moist and tasty. I will try in in the crockpot next but I wanted it for supper and didn't have it the 3 1/4 hrs at the time."
"Oh My Gosh! I'm sorry to say that this was not good at all!! WAY TOO MUCH FILLER! This meatloaf was total MUSH! There was no saving it. There was five people trying to eat this and NO ONE liked it."