- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/3 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 pound large portobello mushrooms, stems removed, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons stone-ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Cut three 20-in. x 3-in. strips of heavy-duty foil; crisscross so they resemble spokes of a wheel. Place strips on the bottom and up the sides of a 3-qt. slow cooker. Coat strips with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, bread crumbs, mushrooms, onion, garlic, salt, thyme and pepper. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into a 7-1/2-in. x 4-in. loaf. Cook immediately or cover and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Place meat loaf in the center of the strips. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°
- Combine the chili sauce, mustard and cayenne; pour over meat. Cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until heated through. Using foil strips as handles, remove the meat loaf to a platter.
- To use frozen meat loaf: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Cook as directed. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom Meat Loaf in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2009, p55
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mushroom Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review