When I started cooking, the only mushrooms I used were the button variety. Now I love experimenting with different types. This recipe is so filling, it can be served as a meatless entree.—Nadine Mesch, Mount Healthy, Ohio
Featured In: Our Most Over-the-Top Recipes Ever
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 pound each sliced fresh shiitake, baby portobello and button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon sherry, optional
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
- 2 pounds red potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender. If desired, stir in sherry and cook 1-2 minutes longer or until evaporated. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in rosemary, salt and pepper. Gradually add cheese, stirring until melted. Remove from heat.
- Arrange potatoes in an even layer in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with mushrooms and sauce mixture; sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake, covered, 40 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes longer or until golden brown and bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Triple-Mushroom au Gratin Potatoes in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2014
Reviews for Mushroom-Gruyere Scalloped Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review