Mushroom Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 jar (16 ounces) process cheese spread
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen French-style green beans, thawed and well drained
- 2 to 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add the cheese sauce, soy sauce, pepper and hot pepper sauce, stirring until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat; stir in water chestnuts.
- 2. Place beans in an ungreased 3-qt. baking dish. Pour the cheese mixture over top. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 14 servings.
1/2 cup equals 223 calories, 16 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 654 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Reviews for Mushroom Green Bean Casserole
"Have made this a couple of times and liked it very much. Used a cheese sauce instead of the cheese spread because of cost and it is a little thick w/ the spread. Added a touch of garlic powder, too. Thanks Pat, even my husband raves about it and he isn't big on green beans."
"Eh, I just wasn't digging this recipe. It really sounded like it would turn out tasty, but it fell short of my expectations. I made it for Thanksgiving, and it was the only thing that we didn't finish off with the left overs... I ended up having to throw most of it away."
"Best on the planet!"
"I have made this recipe every Thanksgiving for 10 years! My husband loves the hint of hot pepper, sauteed mushrooms & water chestnuts. Definitely better than the "other" green bean bake!"
"Loved this...I served it for a get-together. It was a hit...."