Most traditional green bean casseroles center around mushroom soup and french-fried onions. This from-scratch variation features fresh mushrooms, sliced water chestnuts and slivered almonds. -Pat Richter, Lake Placid, Florida
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 jar (16 ounces) process cheese spread
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen French-style green beans, thawed and well drained
- 2 to 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add the cheese sauce, soy sauce, pepper and hot pepper sauce, stirring until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat; stir in water chestnuts.
- Place beans in an ungreased 3-qt. baking dish. Pour the cheese mixture over top. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom Green Bean Casserole in Taste of Home October/November 1999, p33
Reviews for Mushroom Green Bean Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review