Mushroom Fried Rice Recipe
After moving, I couldn't find a Chinese restaurant that met my tastes. So, I decided to create my own Chinese dishes. This is one of my favorites, and can be served as a vegetarian main dish or side dish. —Jacob Kitzman, Seattle, Washington
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 6 medium fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 4 cups cold cooked rice
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Optional ingredients: Chinese-style mustard, duck sauce and additional soy sauce
- 1. In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add eggs to skillet. Cook and stir until set. Remove to a plate; set aside.
- 2. In the same skillet, heat canola oil and remaining sesame oil. Saute onions and mushrooms for 2-3 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add garlic and ginger; saute 1-2 minutes longer.
- 3. Stir in the rice, peas, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Chop egg into small pieces; stir into skillet and heat through. Stir in green onions. Serve with mustard, duck sauce and additional soy sauce if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC