Mushroom Fried Rice
After moving, I couldn't find a Chinese restaurant that met my tastes. So, I decided to create my own Chinese dishes. This is one of my favorites, and can be served as a vegetarian main dish or side dish. —Jacob Kitzman, Seattle, Washington
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 6 medium fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 4 cups cold cooked rice
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Optional ingredients: Chinese-style mustard, duck sauce and additional soy sauce
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon sesame oil over medium-high heat.
- Add eggs to skillet. Cook and stir until set. Remove to a plate; set
- In the same skillet, heat canola oil and remaining sesame oil. Saute
- onions and mushrooms for 2-3 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Add garlic and ginger; saute 1-2 minutes longer.
- Stir in the rice, peas, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Chop egg into