Mushroom Crab Melts Recipe
I received this recipe from my grandmother. The rich open-faced treats are great with a green salad, but I've also cut them into quarters to serve as hors d'oeuvres. To save time, make the crab-mushroom topping early in the day and store it in the refrigerator.
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed or 1 cup chopped imitation crabmeat
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 6 English muffins, split
- Dash each cayenne pepper and paprika
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; remove to paper towels. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Saute mushrooms and onion in drippings until tender.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine crab, Swiss cheese, mayonnaise, mushroom mixture, Parmesan cheese and bacon.
- 3. Spread butter over muffin halves. Top with crab mixture; sprinkle with cayenne and paprika. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- 4. Bake 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 485 calories, 33 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 710 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 19 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC