Mushroom Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup sliced carrot
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion and carrot in oil until tender. Stir in the flour, tarragon and pepper until blended. Gradually add broth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 2. Reduce heat; stir in chicken, mushrooms and milk. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until heated through (do not boil). Yield: 5 servings.
1 cup (prepared with reduced-sodium broth and fat-free evaporated milk) equals 185 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 760 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.