Mushroom Cheese Stromboli Recipe
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 3 ounces thinly sliced pepperoni
- 6 ounces thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced Provolone cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon water
- Additional Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. In a skillet, saute mushrooms in butter until tender; set aside. On a lightly floured board, roll dough into a 30-in. x 8-in. rectangle; cut into two 15-in. x 8-in. pieces.
- 2. On the long side of each piece, layer pepperoni, cheeses, mushrooms, spaghetti sauce, parsley and oregano. Fold over dough and pinch to seal. Combine egg and water; brush over edges and ends of dough. With a sharp knife, cut five small steam vents in the top of each roll.
- 3. Place on greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with Parmesan if desired. Bake at 350° for 27-30 minutes or until golden brown. Slice and serve warm. Yield: 36 slices.
1 serving (2 slices) equals 176 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 431 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.