- 2 large green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Bagel chips or lightly toasted French bread baguette slices
- In a large skillet, saute green peppers and onion in 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add half of the mushrooms and remaining butter and oil; saute until tender. Remove onion mixture and set aside. Saute remaining mushrooms until tender. Return all to the pan. Cover and simmer over medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the olives, vinegar, tomato paste, sugar, oregano, salt and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with bagel chips or baguette slices. Yield: 6 cups.
Originally published as Mushroom Caponata in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p99
Reviews for Mushroom Caponata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review