Mushroom Burger Stew Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the water, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, soup mix, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add mushrooms; simmer 5 minutes longer. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Look for fresh mushrooms that are firm with tightly closed caps. Avoid those that are broken, discolored or have soft spots. Store unwashed mushrooms in a brown paper bag in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Before using in a recipe, rinse mushrooms lightly in a colander (do not soak). Then pat gently with paper towels to dry. Trim 1/4 inch off the stem.