Mushroom Bread Dressing
This is a mushroom lover’s delight! It’s become a tradition in our house to enjoy this rich, flavorful stuffing as part of our Christmas dinner.Lynn Owen, Rochester, Washington
7 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 4 to 5 small onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 cups cubed day-old whole wheat bread
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- In a large skillet, saute onions and mushrooms in butter until
- tender. Sprinkle with sage and thyme. Transfer to a large bowl; stir
- in bread cubes.
- In a small bowl, combine soup mix and water. Gradually stir into
- bread mixture. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and
- bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 7
To Make Ahead: Saute onions and mushrooms ahead of time. Transfer to a small bowl; sprinkle with herbs and refrigerate. When ready to bake, reheat mixture in the microwave to room temperature and proceed with recipe.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 255 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 620 mg sodium,