- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 1 ounce dried mixed mushrooms
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds), cubed
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked egg noodles, optional
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Bring broth and dried mushrooms to a boil in a large saucepan. Remove from heat; let stand 15-20 minutes or until mushrooms are softened. . Drain mushrooms, reserving liquid; finely chop mushrooms. Set aside.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag; set aside 1 tablespoon for sauce. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, to the remaining flour mixture and shake to coat.
- Brown beef in oil in batches in a Dutch oven. Add portobello mushrooms, carrots and onion; saute until onion is tender. Add garlic, rosemary and rehydrated mushrooms; cook 1 minute. Stir in reserved flour mixture until blended; gradually add mushroom broth.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beef is tender. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with egg noodles if desired; top with blue cheese.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers up to 6 months. To use, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a Dutch oven; reheat. Serve with egg noodles if desired; top with blue cheese. Yield: 9 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mushroom Beef Stew
"This is a great comfort food and so good on a cold winter's night.I didn't use the Bleu cheese because my family doesn't care for it and I just used button mushrooms instead of the portabello and dried mushrooms."
"Outstanding!! The perfect dish for a chilly fall evening. Loved, loved, loved the addition of the blue cheese! Thanks for the great recipe!"
"The blue cheese really brings this recipe together. The dish was a bit rich for me but my husband raved about the meal and was sad when leftovers were gone...so, the recipe is a definite "keeper"!"
"I have made this recipe twice in the last 2 months. Great leftovers. I did not boil dried mushrooms, just cut up the portobello mushrooms."
"I ordered my free trial and wasn't going to order, then I made this recipe and it sold me...the other ones on the same page look great too. Love the blue cheese addition. I served it over barley and it was a huge hit."
"I did not bother straining the mushroom broth. I don't think it is necessary, and the stew turned out great without it."
"This recipe is delicious! The dried mushrooms make great broth. The blue cheese goes unexpectedly well, too!"
"Great recipe. It is a KEEPER!"