- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 1 ounce dried mixed mushrooms
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds), cubed
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound whole baby portobello mushrooms
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked egg noodles, optional
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Bring broth and dried mushrooms to a boil in a large saucepan. Remove from heat; let stand 15-20 minutes or until mushrooms are softened. . Drain mushrooms, reserving liquid; finely chop mushrooms. Set aside.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag; set aside 1 tablespoon for sauce. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, to the remaining flour mixture and shake to coat.
- Brown beef in oil in batches in a Dutch oven. Add portobello mushrooms, carrots and onion; saute until onion is tender. Add garlic, rosemary and rehydrated mushrooms; cook 1 minute. Stir in reserved flour mixture until blended; gradually add mushroom broth.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beef is tender. Bring stew to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into pan. Return to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with egg noodles if desired; top with blue cheese. Yield: 9 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mushroom Beef Stew
Sort By :
"Outstanding!! The perfect dish for a chilly fall evening. Loved, loved, loved the addition of the blue cheese! Thanks for the great recipe!"
"The blue cheese really brings this recipe together. The dish was a bit rich for me but my husband raved about the meal and was sad when leftovers were gone...so, the recipe is a definite "keeper"!"
"I have made this recipe twice in the last 2 months. Great leftovers. I did not boil dried mushrooms, just cut up the portobello mushrooms."
"I ordered my free trial and wasn't going to order, then I made this recipe and it sold me...the other ones on the same page look great too. Love the blue cheese addition. I served it over barley and it was a huge hit."