Mushroom Beef Stew Recipe
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 1 ounce dried mixed mushrooms
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds), cubed
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound whole baby portobello mushrooms
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked egg noodles, optional
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Bring broth and dried mushrooms to a boil in a large saucepan. Remove from heat; let stand 15-20 minutes or until mushrooms are softened. Using a slotted spoon, remove mushrooms; finely chop. Strain remaining broth through a fine mesh strainer. Set aside mushrooms and broth.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag; set aside 1 tablespoon for sauce. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, to the remaining flour mixture and shake to coat.
- Brown beef in oil in batches in a Dutch oven. Add portobello mushrooms, carrots and onion; saute until onion is tender. Add garlic, rosemary and rehydrated mushrooms; cook 1 minute. Stir in reserved flour mixture until blended; gradually add mushroom broth.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beef is tender. Bring stew to a boil. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into pan. Return to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with egg noodles if desired; top with blue cheese. Yield: 9 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mushroom Beef Stew(8)
Sort By :
Outstanding!! The perfect dish for a chilly fall evening. Loved, loved, loved the addition of the blue cheese! Thanks for the great recipe!
The blue cheese really brings this recipe together. The dish was a bit rich for me but my husband raved about the meal and was sad when leftovers were gone...so, the recipe is a definite "keeper"!
I have made this recipe twice in the last 2 months. Great leftovers. I did not boil dried mushrooms, just cut up the portobello mushrooms.
I ordered my free trial and wasn't going to order, then I made this recipe and it sold me...the other ones on the same page look great too. Love the blue cheese addition. I served it over barley and it was a huge hit.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Stew Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Stew Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Stew Recipes >
- Pasta Recipes >