Top this hearty stew with crumbled blue cheese just before serving to add a burst of flavor. Serve some now and store the rest in the freezer for another meal.—Nancy Latulippe, Simcoe, Ontario
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 1 ounce dried mixed mushrooms
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds), cubed
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked egg noodles, optional
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Bring broth and dried mushrooms to a boil in a large saucepan. Remove from heat; let stand 15-20 minutes or until mushrooms are softened. . Drain mushrooms, reserving liquid; finely chop mushrooms. Set aside.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag; set aside 1 tablespoon for sauce. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, to the remaining flour mixture and shake to coat.
- Brown beef in oil in batches in a Dutch oven. Add portobello mushrooms, carrots and onion; saute until onion is tender. Add garlic, rosemary and rehydrated mushrooms; cook 1 minute. Stir in reserved flour mixture until blended; gradually add mushroom broth.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beef is tender. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with egg noodles if desired; top with blue cheese.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers up to 6 months. To use, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Place in a Dutch oven; reheat. Serve with egg noodles if desired; top with blue cheese. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom Beef Stew in Taste of Home October 2011, p59
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Mushroom Beef Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review