“I got the recipe for this sauce in a recipe exchange and wish I could credit the person who gave it to me,” says Meg Fisher of Marietta, Georgia. “My children love it! I added mushrooms, but if you'd like it even chunkier, add some bell pepper and other veggies, too.”
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, mushrooms and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, broth, parsley, brown sugar, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve with spaghetti. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 12 servings (1-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Mushroom-Beef Spaghetti Sauce in Light & Tasty October/November 2006, p29
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Mushroom-Beef Spaghetti Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review