Mushroom Beef Skillet Recipe
- 1 beef flank steak (1 pound)
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Hot cooked egg noodles, optional
- 1. Broil beef 4-6 in. from the heat for 6-9 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Set aside and keep warm.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, bring broth to a boil. Add mushrooms and onion; cover and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk the flour, cornstarch and water until smooth. Whisk into broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat.
- 3. In another small bowl, combine the yogurt, paprika, mustard and garlic powder; stir into broth mixture until smooth. Cut beef diagonally into thin strips; add to broth mixture. Cook and stir over low heat until heated through. Serve with noodles if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 264 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 325mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Mushroom Beef Skillet
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.