Mushroom Beef Skillet
In Wills Point, Texas, Dorothy Pritchett simmers mushrooms, onions and hearty chunks of leftover beef in a seasoned tomato sauce. "This is a tasty and satisfying main dish when served over rice," she assures.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups cubed cooked beef
- Hot cooked rice or noodles
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onions and garlic in butter
- until tender. Add the tomato puree, broth, tomato paste and
- seasonings. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beef; heat through. Discard the bay leaves. Serve over rice or
- noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 201 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 327 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 30 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 vegetable.