“The whole family will love this. The filling can be used for tacos, nachos, enchiladas or salads.” —Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 1 pound small fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) vegetarian refried beans
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle hot pepper sauce
- 6 whole wheat tortilla (8 inches), warmed
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute peppers and onions until crisp-tender. Stir in the mushrooms, water, broth and garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the beans, salsa, chili powder and pepper sauce; heat through.
- Spoon 1 cup filling off center on each tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Mushroom Bean Burritos in Healthy Cooking October/November 2010, p61
Reviews for Mushroom Bean Burritos
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 23, 2011
"I added a can of black beans with the refried beans and salsa to make it more filling, and it was excellent! Great recipe, thank you!"