Mushroom Bean Barley Soup Recipe
Here's a hearty soup that is delicious and chock-full of vegetables. I like to eat it with a chunk of crusty bread smothered in butter.—Constance Sullivan, Oceanside, California
- 1/2 cup dried great northern beans
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1. Soak beans according to package directions. In a large skillet, cook the mushrooms, onions and leek in butter over medium heat until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Transfer to a 6-quart slow cooker. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Add the beans, broth, celery, carrots, barley, parsley, salt, bay leaf and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until beans and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup equals 116 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 988 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC