Mushroom Barley Soup Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1. In a Dutch oven or stockpot, cook meat in oil over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove meat with a slotted spoon; keep warm and set aside.
- 2. Saute onions, carrots and celery in drippings over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic and thyme; cook and stir 3 minutes. Stir in broths, water, barley, salt if desired and pepper.
- 3. Return meat to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until barley and meat are tender. Add parsley. Yield: about 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
One 1-cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium broths and without salt) equals 220 calories, 13 g fat (0 saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 65 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.