Mushroom Barley Soup Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1. In a Dutch oven or stockpot, cook meat in oil over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove meat with a slotted spoon; keep warm and set aside.
- 2. Saute onions, carrots and celery in drippings over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic and thyme; cook and stir 3 minutes. Stir in broths, water, barley, salt if desired and pepper.
- 3. Return meat to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until barley and meat are tender. Add parsley. Yield: about 11 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
One 1-cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium broths and without salt) equals 220 calories, 13 g fat (0 saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 65 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 14 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Mushroom Barley Soup
"No one was impressed with this soup. It was pretty bland. The best part of the meal was the sourdough bread I made to go along with it. Yes, It was easy to make and no one disliked it - but I'll be taking it out of my recipe box and looking for a different beef/barley combo. I cook for 6 and there was none left. I would never expect this to serve 11 as a main meal."
"Easy to make. My kids loved it!"
"A quick, hearty, easy soup that makes a great meal when you add a salad and some crusty bread. Perfect when you want something warm and filling."
"This is so good and real easy to make."
"Eat fresh or the barley absorbs too much juice."
"This was very good! The flavors blended smoothly. I used the quick cooking barley & added it the last 20 minutes. I will make this every year during our cold/winter months. It is a keeper. Thanks for sharing!"
"My first time to cook with barley-it's not quite 'daily fare' where I live. This was excellent: the barley and mini portos melded into great flavor. Thanks for posting."
"Sounds like a keeper,Thanks Wattle.
"This soup is awesome. Easy to make and tastes so wonderful. Recipe is a keeper."
"it is very good"
"Another winning recipe from your readers. Often requested in my household and a favorite to give to friends."
"My family and I love this recipe. I have made it numerous times. It's easy and good."
"I also use this soup with left-over ham,& serve with cornbread.So simple, yet so delicious! Connie from Colorado"
"I made this tonight after work. I was a little worried because I usually like to allow my soups to slowly cook all day. However, after just about an hour (less time than it actually called for) the soup was finished and delicious. My entire family loved it, and were already planning to have leftovers for lunch tomorrow!"
"I knew when I saw this recipe that I had to try it. We love mushrooms and barley. It did not disappoint! We loved it!"