Mushroom Barley Soup Mix Recipe
Steaming bowls of homemade soup are less than an hour away when you have this lovely layered soup mix on hand. You won't miss the meat in this hearty soup featuring lentils and barley.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups dried lentils
- 3 cups medium pearl barley
- 1 package (1 ounce) dried shiitake or porcini mushrooms (about 2 cups)
- 6 bay leaves
- 18 beef bouillon cubes
- 6 tablespoons dried celery flakes
- 6 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 6 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 3 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 3 teaspoons garlic salt
- 3 teaspoons dried thyme
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 2 quarts water
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1. In six pint-size jars or cellophane gift bags, layer 1/4 cup lentils, 1/2 cup barley and 1/3 cup mushrooms. Top with a bay leaf, or attach to jar or bag for decoration.
- 2. In six snack-size resealable plastic bags, place three bouillon cubes, 1 tablespoon celery flakes, 1 tablespoon parsley, 1 tablespoon onion, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt and 1/2 teaspoon thyme; seal bags. Place one in each jar or bag and seal. Yield: 6 batches.
- 3. To prepare one batch of soup: Place mix and seasonings in a large saucepan; add water and carrots. Bring to a boil; stir well. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until barley and lentils are tender. Remove bay leaf before serving. Yield: about 6-1/2 cups per batch.
1-1/3 cup: 126 calories, 1g fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 721mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 7g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Mushroom Barley Soup Mix
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC